Workforce planning needs to be directly linked to you business goals, and so the first step is to think about your own business context. Ask yourself the following questions:
- What are my business goals and vision?
- Where is my business heading? Is it growing, downsizing, transitioning, shifting skills, introducing new technology or is it in a maintenance mode?
- What are the economic conditions that impact on my industry sector and markets and does this impact on my business?
- Who are my customers/clients?
- What is going on internally in my business and how will this impact on my workforce requirements?
- What are the short, medium and long term goals for my business and what workforce skills and capability will I need to achieve these business goals?